Local companies among the worst in paying back taxes

Office owes more than half a million from 2010, an individual just under $500,000 from 2012


VISALIA – Two Visalia companies are among the worst in California for not paying their sales and use taxes.

A Visalia office and an individual were included in the list of 500 entities in the State with the largest delinquencies for Sales & Use Tax. The California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) released the list on Dec. 11, as it does every quarter. The latest information can be found at www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/top500.htm.

AmeriWest, Inc., which is listed as an inactive company with the Secretary of State’s office, had a last known address on Burke Street in Visalia. The company owed more than $507,000 on a lien dating back to April 14, 2010.

The list also included a residential address for Roger Rose, who owes more than $458,000. Rose’s lien dates back to April 20, 2012.

The total delinquency amount of all the businesses and individuals on the list is $448,932,834.62. The 34 new taxpayers added to the list this quarter owe a combined amount of $31,419,022.37. Since the list began with the top 250 delinquencies in 2007, more than $18 million has been collected from 257 taxpayers. A list of the Top 500 Tax Delinquencies has been provided to participating state licensing agencies. Those on the list could have driver and other professional licenses suspended until they pay the amount owed or enter into a payment plan with the CDTFA.

Topping the list is M & Y Safar Brothers, Inc., with an outstanding balance of $6,838,960; followed by Levitz Furniture LLC, at $5,940,886. Coming in third is Top 500 newcomer Bijan Sharifi of Upland, owing $4,957,050.

Each taxpayer is notified 30 days before their information is posted.

Since the inception of this program, the BOE has received a total of $18.18 million from 257 qualifying taxpayers that came forward to take care of their debts: 205 through installment payment agreements and 52 by making payment in full.

Taxpayers can request that any full or partial payments be posted on this list.

If your information has been posted in error, or you have questions about the list, please contact the BOE at 916-445-5167.

Start typing and press Enter to search