Old School

Demolition of the old administration building at Exeter Union High School was completed last week. Excavaters knocked down the old walls and scraped away remnants of the high school's former front office.

The old administration building was one of three wings constructed at the campus in 1942 to replace the academic and science buildings deemed unsafe because they failed to meet new earthquake requirements since they were erected in 1911 and 1921 respectively. The overall project included 13 classrooms, two labs a combination library/study hall and administrative offices. Exeter residents passed a $175,000 bond to fund the construction. It was designed by Charles H. Franklin of Franklin & Kump architecture out of Fresno. The firm had made a name for itself a year earlier when it built the radically modern Fresno City Hall, which was later selected by the Museum of Modern Art as one of the most significant American structures built between 1932 and 1944.

The old administration building was knocked down as part of the construction project to add more classrooms to the campus in preparation for the population growth of the city over the next 20 years. The old administration building is being converted into modernized classrooms for technical training in photography, audio-video production and media room.

The project is being funded Measure U, the $5 million bond passed by Exeter Union High School District voters last November. Approved by 62% of voters in November of last year, Measure U will fund rehabilitation and modernization projects in two phases. Phase 1 would also include replacing outdated electrical infrastructure from the ceiling and putting it into underground and refurbishing the restrooms. Phase 2 would include converting the 10s wing into modernized classrooms, upgrading the ag farm and Kaweah High School classrooms to meet current standards. Phase 2 would also include refurbishing Smith Gym with new seating, restrooms, locker rooms, improved acoustics, new lobby, new concession area and improve the ventilation systems and refinish the floors in both the Smith and Holaday gymnasiums.

The high school's main entrance was moved from the building on San Juan to Rocky Hill when the school district built a new administration building and library as part of a $4 million bond measure approved by voters in March 2001.

Start typing and press Enter to search