Exeter student to be honored at Twitter HQ

Students and industry come together to celebrate student voice and digital leadership in social media

@TheSunGazette

SAN FRANCISCO – Getting on the national and even international stage is tough for anyone coming from the Central Valley. There is plenty working against those trying to break through the noise, but one student from Exeter just might have been able to do that.

Tony Salazar, a student at Exeter Union High School was selected among 16 other students to be celebrated at the first annual #Digital4Good event at Twitter HQ in San Francisco. Salazar was nominated by a member of his community then evaluated by a panel of students, educators, and industry representatives.

Salazar is being recognized for his role as the co-founder of “Humans of Exeter” and “Monarch Nation.” His visions have helped to create social media platforms that promote positivity around the Exeter campus and ways that both students and staff can pay it forward.

#Digital4Good is being spearheaded by #ICanHelp, a non-profit organization committed to empowering students to play an active role in improving the online environment. The event on Sept. 18 was #ICanHelp’s first national event, and is meant to raise awareness of the power of student voice for social good in social media.

Co-founder Kim Karr explains that, “#ICanHelp has worked with over 250,000 students to be the digital change they want to see.” Co-founder

Matt Soeth added, “The focus is always too much on the negative, and we have some amazing youth out there making a difference. We want students to inspire students to be digital leaders.”

By bringing together a broad range of students, educators, and industry people, the #Digital4Good event on Sept. 18 represents a student-centered, student-led approach to solving some of the complicated issues and social problems in social tech use — students as part of the solution not the problem.​ ​It is sure to raise awareness, offer real-world best practices, and celebrate the many examples of students using digital for good.  Twitter will host the first annual #Digital4Good event at their San Francisco headquarters and it will be live streamed on Periscope to a global audience.
More information can be found at ​icanhelpdeletenegativity.org.

Start typing and press Enter to search