EXETER – The Knights of Columbus announced the names of public safety officers they will honor at their annual awards dinner on March 3 at the Exeter Memorial Building, 324 N. Kaweah Ave. in Exeter. The 26th annual Community Services Safety Recognition Dinner is presented by the Msgr. Joseph W. Balker Council 9068 in Exeter/Farmersville. The event honors first responders in Exeter, Farmersville, Woodlake and Tulare County. The list of this year’s recipients for the officers and firefighters of the year honors are:
- Calif. Highway Patrol: Officer Ben Howell
- Exeter Police Dept.: Detective Kevin Phelps
- Farmersville Fire Dept.: Firefighter Matthew Epstein
- Farmersville Police Dept.: Detective Kristine Barklow
- Tulare County Fire Dept.: Firefighter Robert Macauley
- Tulare County Sheriff’s: Deputy Rufino Venegas
- Woodlake Police Dept.: Officer Manuel Villegas
Social hour is at 6 p.m. followed by dinner at 7 p.m. A prime rib dinner will be served. Tickets are $20 per person and can be purchased from any Knights of Columbus member.
The Knights was formed as a Catholic fraternal organization to render financial aid to members and their families. Mutual aid and assistance are offered to sick, disabled and needy members and their families. Social and intellectual fellowship is promoted among members and their families through educational, charitable, religious, social welfare, war relief and public relief works.
The Knights of Columbus has grown from several members in one council in 1882 to more than 15,100 councils and 1.9 million members throughout the world.