Meth dealer caught with drugs, guns, ammunition

Jason Ashford, 43, had nearly a pound of meth in his car, three guns, ammunition, and scales at his home


VISALIA – A local meth dealer was arrested last week after being caught with three handguns, ammunition, drugs and scales.

At 11:31 a.m. on May 21, Jason Eugene Ashford, 43, was stopped by the Visalia Police Department’s Narcotic Unit as part of an ongoing investigation. Ashford was in possession of nearly a pound of methamphetamine in his vehicle and was arrested. VPD officers then served search warrants at two homes associated with Ashford in the 26000 block of S. Mooney Blvd. and the 3500 block of W. Monte Vista Ave. During the search of Ashford’s home on Mooney, officers located three handguns, a digital scale, ammunition and other indicia indicative of sales. Ashford was booked into the Tulare County Pretrial Facility for possession of methamphetamine for sales, transportation of methamphetamine, felon in possession of firearms and felon in possession of ammunition.

While searching the house on Monte Vista, officers contacted Dwayne Ticey, Gary David Moss, and Candice Cardenas. The 33-year-old Ticey was holding 2 grams of methamphetamine but was released at the scene on a citation. Moss, 47, and Cardenas, 26, were found to have outstanding warrants for narcotic related charges. They were both released at the scene on citations with a new court date to appear for the warrants.

Visalia Police Log

Saturday, May 25

At 11:30 a.m., officers were dispatched to the 1600 block of N. Dinuba Blvd. in regards to a disturbance. Upon arrival, it was learned that a security guard working at the property had tried to get 47-year-old Gurmeet Sond to leave because he had been banned after causing previous disturbances. Sond initially refused to leave, but finally got into his vehicle. Prior to exiting the parking lot, Sond drove at the security guard and ran over his foot while striking him in the chest with the vehicle’s side mirror. The security guard received minor injuries, but declined medical assistance. Sond was later located at his residence and was arrested. He was booked on charges of assault with a deathly weapon.

At 9:35 a.m., officers were dispatched to Leslie’s Pool Supply, 3612 N. Dinuba Blvd., regarding a subject that had locked himself in the bathroom and was screaming. The first officer on scene made contact with the subject, 33-year-old Phillip Gutierrez. While trying to escort the subject out of the business, Gutierrez actively and violently resisted and began attacking the officer. Other officers arrived and assisted in gaining control of Gutierrez and one of them deployed a Taser. During the physical altercation, one officer was injured and required medical treatment at Kaweah Delta Medical Center. He was treated and released. Gutierrez was also treated at the hospital for Taser prong injuries. He was then booked at the Tulare County Pretrial Facility for assault on a police officer causing injury, threatening a police officer, and resisting arrest with injury.

Friday, May 24

At 8:30 a.m., officers were dispatched to NE 1st Street and Santa Fe Street regarding a victim wanting to report an assault. Officers found the victim suffering from a stab wound to the neck. The victim stated that she was involved in an altercation in the 500 block of E. Center St. at an unknown time the previous night. During the altercation, the suspect, 46-year-old Darla Smith, produced a knife and stabbed the victim in the neck one time. The victim was transported to Kaweah Delta Medical Center and was treated for a non-life threatening injury. Detectives later located Smith at the Transit Center and arrested her without incident. She was booked into the Tulare County Pretrial Facility for assault with a deadly weapon.

Start typing and press Enter to search