Visalia PD officers end standoff with Abiel Innis De Joel Rios in lethal shot


VISALIA – Visalia officers had to take lethal action last week when Abiel Innis De Joel Rios pointed and fired a shotgun at officers surrounding his home.

Last Thursday afternoon, Jan. 3 officers responded to a residence in the 200 block of N/E 4th Street regarding a family disturbance involving an assault with a deadly weapon.

Abiel Innis De Joel Rios
33 years-old
Photo courtesy of VPD

The caller reported Rios, 33, shot his brother with a shotgun. When officers arrived they located the victim who was suffering from a non-life threatening gunshot wound to the leg. The victim was immediately removed from the area and a second family member exited the residence and advised Rios was still inside with the firearm.

Officers secured the area and established contact with Rios and attempted to get him to exit the residence and surrender to officers. Rios refused to leave and members of the Visalia Police Department S.W.A.T. Team responded to assist patrol officers and took over the negotiations.

Over an approximate two-hour period officers attempted negotiations with Rios but he refused to surrender. During the negotiations Rios would exit the residence either armed with a machete type knife or shotgun. At one point during the negotiations, officers introduced chemical agents into the home.

Immediately after the chemicals were in the home, Rios fired a shotgun round at perimeter officers. Rios eventually exited the residence armed with the shotgun and pointed it towards officers, resulting in an officer firing a single round that struck Rios.

He was immediately transported to a local hospital where he later died from the injury. The Tulare County Sheriff’s Department took over the assault investigation against Visalia officers. The Visalia Police Department is investigating the shooting of Rios’ brother and the administrative investigation of the officer involved shooting.

Visalia Crime Log

Sunday, December 30

At 10:42 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 30 officers responded to Big Lots on Mooney in regards to a burglar alarm that was sounding. Upon arrival, officers observed Enrique Ybarra, 37, walking around the interior of the locked business. While officers were waiting for Ybarra to unlock the doors, they observed smoke inside the business. Officers entered the business and detained Ybarra. Upon searching the remainder of the store, officers located a trash fire that had been started in the bathroom by Ybarra. Officers were able to put the fire out and there was damage to the interior of the bathroom.

Officers determined Ybarra entered the bathroom during normal store hours and remained there until the business closed. Visalia Fire Department responded to assist in the investigation.

Tuesday, January 1

At approximately 12:03 a.m. officers with The Visalia Police Department were in the 400 block of NE 2nd Ave on an unrelated call for service. At that time officers heard a significant amount of shots being fired from a residence nearby. After contacting the occupants of that home they learned that Jose Antonio Coria,40, had fired over 25 rounds from a handgun equipped with a high capacity magazine. Officers recovered the suspected weapon along with another handgun discarded in the area. Coria was arrested and booked at the Tulare County Adult Pretrial Facility for negligent discharge of a firearm, and possession of a high capacity magazine.

Wednesday, January 2

At approximately 5:11 a.m. the officers responded to a report of shots fired in the 700 Block of N. Floral Ave. While in the area officers discovered a vehicle in the 300 Block of W. Grove Street that had been shot. The investigation revealed that an unknown suspect fired a shot into the unoccupied vehicle. Following the shot the suspect gained entry to the vehicle and fled prior to police arrival. Anyone with information on this incident is encouraged to contact the Visalia Police Department. Those wishing to remain anonymous can call the tip line at (559) 713-4738.

Thursday, January 3

At approximately 12:16 a.m. officers received a report of a head-on traffic collision at Houston and Woodland. The investigation revealed that Nicholas Nunez, 26, was driving his 2001 Chevy Silverado westbound in the eastbound lanes of Houston when he collided head-on with an eastbound 2007 Toyota FJ. The occupants of the Toyota were transported to a local hospital for moderate injuries. Nunez sustained minor injuries as a result of the collision. Nunez is suspected of being under the influence of narcotics as well as an inhalant. He was arrested for DUI resulting in injury and will be booked at the Tulare County Adult Pretrial Facility upon release from the hospital.

At 7:18 p.m. VPD’s Special Enforcement Unit responded to a residence in the 2000 block N Ben Maddox for a probation search. As the officers entered the front of the residence, the probationer, Donnie Gomes, 35, ran out the back door. He was quickly apprehended and found to have an empty gun holster in his clothing. A search of the residence was conducted and a loaded handgun and approximately 40 grams of methamphetamine were located. Gomes was arrested for felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition, possession of methamphetamine while armed with a firearm and resisting arrest. Cheyenne Mills, 21, was also arrested at the residence for delaying officers. Both were booked at the Tulare County Jail.

Start typing and press Enter to search